Friday, March 28, 2014

UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn

UnEnchanted
Author: Chanda Hahn
Published: December 29th, 2011

Summary:

Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairy tale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

Review:

This is another new author for me, Chanda Hahn. I read the book "UnEnchanted" because Grimm fairy tale stories have always been a favorite for me. I really enjoyed this book because of the elements that it incorporated. 

In this story, which I don't think I've seen this done before, we are introduced to Mina Grime. She is actually descended from the brothers Grimm. She likes to stay low key, is quiet and she does play 'pity me' games. Her attitude toward things started to get to me after a while, but it didn't push me away from the story.
 

Mina learns that she has to relive and finish all the tales that the Grimms' couldn't for the curse on her family to end. Throughout the book she finishes two of them. It was so interesting to see how the stories played and what she had to do to finish them.
 

We also meet her mute brother Charlie, who you cant help but love. He seems like a fun loving character and her best friend Nan loves his just as much as she does. Nan could be the most popular girl in school if she wanted too, but wasn't. She is a jubilant and sweet girl that will do anything to protect her best friend. She is a great character and I enjoyed her throughout the book. There's Brody, the 'prince' of the school. From what we are introduced to he seems like a great guy but the story plays his character around a lot. With that being said I don't feel like we got his true personality. Then there is Jared. I really like him. He is a fae who is sent to help Mina. He is a trickster and has his games but he also is strong and independent. He is serious and will joke when he can.
 


The characters helped to bring the story together. I think Brody and Mina needed a little bit more development, but it doesn't take from the story. I can't wait to read the next one!!!

Purchase Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment