Thursday, March 5, 2015

Review: Ember by Rachel Van Dyken


Ember
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Release Date:

Summary:

Release Date: February 19th, 2015

I am a Killer. A Rapist. A Monster.

I know only pain and survival.

That is until the Cappo's sister walked into my life.

And changed everything.

She's a light who makes my darkness darker, her smile makes my heart turn to ice, and I can't escape the fear her seductive looks instill--knowing it's only a matter of time before I fail--again, and take her for myself.

This is the story of my redemption.

But it's not pretty...I died, and now I'm alive, but not living, breathing but not surviving. I am Phoenix De Lange, son to a murdered mob boss, estranged brother, horrible friend, monster in the making, newest leader to one of the most powerful families in the Cosa Nostra.

And I will have my vengeance.

Or die trying.

I am Phoenix De Lange.

Death is all I know.

Until she offers me a piece of life--I can't resist taking.


Review:

One word…. Phenomenal. In Elite, we met the 4 members of the Elite society. We grew to hate Phoenix; with a passion. As the series continued, we still couldn’t stand him. In Ember, that all changes. We see a completely different side of Phoenix. Knowing about Phoenix’s past prior to this book, I was really worried about how she could turn everything around and make him a good guy or if he’ll continue to be the enemy.

I knew with this book, it was going to go into his past and it was going to be difficult. However, as we have seen in many books before, EVERYONE should be given a second chance. Phoenix didn’t believe he deserved it though. He felt that with everything that he did he did not deserve that second chance, that chance at redemption. He denied himself anything that that he felt was a privilege. He didn’t need anyone to punish him because he punished himself.

We met Bianki Campisi or as everyone calls her; Bee in Elicit.  She is the Cappo’s sister. So naturally Tex is there; making me love him more. However, Bee still has her own insecurities. Before she was reunited with Tex, she was alone. Phoenix was there to ease that pain so she naturally turns to him. She feels close to him. Bee’s definitely a sweetheart. We saw her in Elicit, but definitely not as much as we see her in this book. I thought she was adorable. She knows what she wants and she knew deep down what she needed to do to get what she wanted.

Phoenix tries to ward Bee off with everything inside him. He tells her he’s no good. He tells her that he dangerous, but they are continually thrown together. They play games. Pushing and pulling toward one another. Bee wants to be with him. Phoenix won’t allow him to feel anything for her. He didn’t believe he deserved anyone and especially her. Her being the Boss’s sister just made him push her away even more.

The other guys from the series definitely make their way into this story and I continue to love them! They are hysterical and I couldn’t stop laughing whenever they made their way into the story. For such a dark story, they brought so much lightness to it. I will never be able to sit at family breakfast again without laughing ridiculously.

Would he allow himself to fall for her? Would he let himself get the happy ending that he deserved whether he thought so or not? Would secrets that have stand hidden come to light and forge something even more within the world we’ve grown to love? Rachel surprises me with every new book in this series and I hope it continues this way. I was able to enjoy this book so much. It was beautiful. It proved even the tortured has a chance at redemption. I laughed and cried and I hope you do the same! #BloodinBloodOut

Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment