Sunday, July 20, 2014

Review: Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Oblivion
Author: Jamie McGuire
Release Date: July 1st 2014

Summary:

Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster phenomenon continues in the first heart-pounding new adult romance in The Maddox Brothers series.

Fiercely independent Camille “Cami” Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn’t have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year.

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt.

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red.
As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she’ll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever—even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.

In the first installment of the Maddox Brothers books, readers can experience the rush they felt reading Beautiful Disaster for the first time, all over again.

Review:

Okay, so I really liked this book. Overall, I give it a 3.5 and only because I felt like it was very similar to Beautiful Disaster. When I learned that there were going to be getting books on the other Maddox Brothers, I was stoked!!! However, If they are all going to be like this, I don’t think I’ll be able to stomach them. I totally get them being similar, but I would have liked a little more diversity.

I really liked Trent’s character. I thought he was great in Beautiful Disaster and wanted to learn more about him. That fact that he is a tattoo artist just makes him hotter in my eyes. His personality is very similar to Travis’. He is a bad boy with a sweetness about him. He is protective of his family. Also, if he doesn’t want to sleep with you he seems like a really awesome friend.

Cami is a strong female character especially with the shit hand that she was dealt. From the moment that Trent walks into her life she knows that she is screwed. She has had a hard time trying to deal with having a long distance relationship with a boyfriend that we don’t know much about. She tries steering clear of Trent in respect to him, but she finds it hard to do and develops a friendship. 

Cami’s crazy, unpredictable family brings a sense of danger to the story and proves that everyone can be vulnerable. What bothers me the most about Cami is how she lets Trent steal her heart when she already has a boyfriend. What bothers me about Trent is the fact that he keeps pursuing Cami even when he knows that she has boyfriend. I understand being friends with someone but there is a line to be drawn and I wish one of them had drawn it.

With the abundance of secondary characters that were introduced in this story, I felt it took away from Cami and Trent’s relationship. There could have been more about them instead of us, as the readers, trying to figure out what was going on with the other characters. Bringing so much into the story took from the buildup. We also get to see little bits of Travis and what he went through in Beautiful Disaster. We got to see how Cami played key parts into getting Travis’ ass into gear.

The twist at the end (something I won’t divulge to you) was figured out quickly and it was only confirmed in for me. It kind of mad me angry that Cami would do what she did but it only made me interested into how Jamie McGuire was going to spin it. Overall, it was a good book. I just wish it had been a little bit more different. I can’t wait to the next Maddox brother book and I hope it’s better than this one.

Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment