Sunday, May 11, 2014

Review: Torn by Kim Karr

Torn
Author: Kim Karr
Published: October 1st, 2013


Summary:

Rock star River Wilde brought Dahlia London back from the brink of hopelessness with his unwavering love and devotion. But their entangled history is about to test the strength of their relationship

Dahlia was certain she had found true love and met her ‘Once in a Lifetime’ when she reconnected with River. But Dahlia’s world comes crashing down when someone from her past resurfaces, and all of River’s carefully hidden secrets are exposed.                                                         
River wants to show Dahlia that life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass—it’s about dancing in the rain. But how many times can one broken heart be mended?  Will River and Dahlia be able to stay together or will they be torn apart?

Review:

I thought Torn was so much better than Connected. I thought that there was more character development in this book than in the first and even though we are still given the intimate scenes, it didn’t seem as overbearing as in the first novel.

If you haven’t read Connected do not read this Review.

After Dahlia lost the love her life and moves on, her past comes back. Everything that she had worked hard to move past and get over starts to make its way back in her life with a lie that destroyed everything.

Ben, Dahlia’s first love whom she thought she had lost forever after his death, makes his way back into her life with a story that is so hard to believe. She can’t bring herself to forgive him even though he claimed to do it for her. However, just like Dahlia, I would be angry too. If something happens in your life and will affect those around you, you need to include them with your decisions. You need to work through it with each other. I feel bad for Ben, but I also don’t pity him. He was asked to stop something that would destroy him but he continued to go through with it. He put himself in the situation that he was in.  

When Ben makes himself known and walks back into Dahlia’s life, River starts to feel threatened. He begins becoming jealous and overprotected. Plainly, he asks her “Do you still love him?” Well seriously? How could she not still have a place for him in her heart? Doesn’t mean that she was going to love River any less. I feel bad for River. Here he is thinking that he doesn’t have to worry about anything and then this other guy that he may have competition with comes strolling back into the lives of him and the woman he loves. Does he over react a lot? Yes. Does he get angry? Of course he does. Do I think he acted a little immaturely? Yes I do.

Dahlia, who made me angry throughout the first book a few times, made me so proud. Even though the man that had gotten her through everything, who she had loved for so long comes back into her life, doesn’t desert the man she KNOWS is the right one for her. What I felt was the best was she wasn’t going to abandon him even though he began trying anything and everything to get back with Dahlia. She put her foot down and proved how strong she really was.

Also, finally in this book… we find out what Xander kept telling River to tell Dahlia. Everything that I thought… any inkling of idea that who Bell was going to meet at the frat house was confirmed. So after I felt bad for Ben in the beginning, I wanted to punch him in the face. My exact words when I read it, “Screw you, you d-bag.” Like really? Don’t go and cheat on the girl that you claim is the love of your life, fake your death saying that you did it for her and then think everything is okay. You can take your messed up self and bounce.

There is heartache and sadness in this book. There is love and understanding in this book. Everything that I didn't get from the first I got from the second. I'm glad that I rad Torn even though Connected made me angry. The next book in the series is a novella about Xander... I'm so psyched and I can't wait to read about him!

No comments:

Post a Comment