Thursday, April 3, 2014

Elite by Rachel Van Dyken (Re-read)

Elite
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Published:April 14th, 2013

Summary:

For Tracey Rooks, life with her grandparents on a Wyoming farm has always been simple. But after her grandmother's death, Tracey is all her grandfather has. So when Eagle Elite University announces its annual scholarship lottery, Tracey jumps at the opportunity to secure their future and enters. She isn't expecting much-but then she wins. And life as she knows it will never be same . . .

The students at Eagle Elite are unlike any she's ever met . . . and they refuse to make things easy for her. There's Nixon, gorgeous, irresistible, and leader of a group that everyone fears: The Elect. Their rules are simple. 1. Do not touch The Elect. 2. Do not look at The Elect. 3. Do not speak to The Elect. No matter how hard she tries to stay away, The Elect are always around her and it isn't long until she finds out the reason why they keep their friends close and their enemies even closer. She just didn't realize she was the enemy -- until it was too late.

Review:

When the cover for “Entice” cover came out, I felt compelled to re-read this story again. Plus, since I just started this blog I won’t be repeating myself. I really liked “Elite”. I read it in one day. It was one of those stories that I just had to keep reading. I wanted to find out what happened next even though I started to figure it out on my own once I got into it. It was a fast read too. I think even if I hadn’t intended on reading it in one day, I would have anyway. This story has a bit of Romeo and Juliet flair with a godfather backing… if that makes any sense to you!

Tracey is a shy somewhat sheltered girl. She seems to know how to take care of herself but sometimes our personalities can’t handle the pressure that we think we can handle. Tracey, our female lead character, grows up on her grandparent’s farm after her mom and dad are killed in a car accident. Tracey or Trace, to appease her grandmother, signs up for the drawing and ends up winning a scholarship to study at Eagle Elite. Her grandfather brings her to the school and she meets the boys that run Eagle Elite. Nixon isn’t the typical preppy style, he is the boy with the tattoos and the piercings. He is hard, strong, strict, and sarcastic. I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to like him or hate him. Chase also has tattoos and isn’t as nasty and seems to have more of a caring personality than Nixon.  For me I love tattoos so they both got brownie points right away. However, the second Nixon opened his mouth… they were gone.

Here the rules are clear:

1.   Do not touch the Elect.
2.   Do not look at the Elect.
3.   Do not speak to the Elect.

Now how would we have a story if she followed all the rules? Trace repeatedly broke the rules and Nixon continued to tell her to follow them. When she finally gets to her room after her terrible first encounter with Nixon and Chase, she meets her roommate. Her roommate is Monroe, Nixon’s twin sister. They hit off and Monroe treated her like a normal person.


Everything about the book was great. I liked the sexual tension between Nixon and Trace, the companionship from Monroe, the security from Chase. I won’t lie, after a little bit, I began to put two and two together and figured out what was going on. It didn’t take anything away from the story though. With this story, it’s hard to tell everything I want to share without giving it away! You need to read this book! 

Purchase Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment